Sunday, May 6, 2012

baby ducklings

SO currently I have ducks. and chickens, and maybe honeybees. My husband and I started with just a few chicks, now 32 chickens later ( I know right) we have 6 adorable ducks. 
So we also have a dog, he is a golden retriever, and is precious we adopted his when he was 7 and his name is Cash. 
Cash can be a big baby, he is a softy, can get a little sassy to puppies, but doesn't care about chickens at all ( he just stares at them) and was a little freaked out by the ducks.
For the first few days the little ducks were staying in our house because they were so young and we decided to let them wander a little. So we put down a towel spread out our legs and let them explore. 
And they found Cash. I think that they thought Cash (a boy) was their mommy. 
They all rushed him at once and started picking at his tail, and climbing on him. Cash just sat there taking it looking and Brandon like "dad I dont know what to do"...
He got a little freaked out and stuck his head in the corner when they all ran at him at once. It was adorable. melted my heart.
Well turns out that Cash now thinks that he is their mommy too. The baby ducks are now outside in a little protector thing but they are outside. 
So today we let the little guys run around.
Cash was very curious and started sticking his nose in their little house.
About 10 minutes later I look out side to see a baby duck sticking out of his mouth and him trotting around.
I immediately start yelling for Brandon and yelling at Cash. He just gently sets the little guy down and the duck just waddles away. I pick up this adorable little duck covered in Cash spit and hold him inspecting for any sign on injury, and there wasn't any.
I am sure Cash thinks that he is their mom, and this little guy must have sat down and Cash though he would help him out.
 and take him for a little ride, ans show him around the yard.
 After that I was watching him like a hawk.
 What Cash does when he thinks something is his baby is he digs a hole and buries it. 
Luckily he didn't do this. 
What he WAS doing was laying out side of their little warm cozy house and stickin his nose in their then getting his paw and pulling them out and giving them a ride.
It's safe to say the babies will be safely in their cage until Cash can no longer carry them. It was the cutest saddest, most adorable thing I have ever seen.
We have a mini farm in our backyard, and get to see the circle of life on a regular basis. Semi terrifying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment